Parents and Family
You must be extremely proud of your student! They are now officially Tar Heels!
Here are some questions you might have about your student living on-campus.
You can purchase carpets, microfridges, linens, and a laundry service for your student through RHA’s Move-In Marketplace. You can purchase and/or rent these items directly through the company’s website and have them delivered to your student’s room before move-in. Be aware of purchasing deadlines in August.
All commissions earned from the Move-in Marketplace benefit campus programs and events sponsored by RHA. In other words, the money comes right back to your students, helping them make the most of their Carolina experience.
Residence Hall Association (RHA)
- One of the three largest student-run organizations on campus.
- Membership includes all 9,500 students living in university recognized residence halls (including Granville Towers).
- Advocates on behalf of residents to DHRE and to the University.
- Plans and hosts diverse social, educational, and philanthropic programs within the residence halls (through community government) and at the campus level (through the Programming Committee).
- Provides community Enhancements in the residence halls, including pool tables, DVDs, cleaning supplies, games, recreational items, etc.
- Structure includes the RHA Executive Board, the Board of Governors, consisting of the Community Governors from all 16 member communities, community government, and various standing committees, such as the Ethics Board, the Recognition Committee, and the Alumni Board.
- Representatives serve on various external campus committees, including the Housing Advisory Board, Dining Board, and the Board of Directors for the Student Union
- Mission Statement: We commit to enriching and maintaining a comfortable and supportive living and learning community by representing residents’ concerns, offering diverse programming, and providing desirable residence hall enhancements.
Department of Housing and Residential Education (DHRE)
- A University department within the Division of Student Affairs.
- Consists of paid professional staff, including Community Directors. Community Directors are responsible for the general management of a community, including supervision of the RAs, the Housekeeping staff, and disciplinary infractions.
- Employees Resident Advisors and Office Assistants. RHA has no involvement in the process of hiring or supervising RAs or OAs.
- Facilitates contracting/re-contracting and determines room assignments.
- Handles maintenance requests. If you have a service request, visit FixMyRoom!
- Mission Statement: The Department of Housing and Residential Education works to create an inclusive on-campus housing environment that promotes personal development, citizenship, involvement, and leadership. The Department of Housing and Residential Education consists of educators, full-time professional staff, and para-professional student staff who, through exemplary facilities management, organizational effectiveness, student-centered learning, and assessment initiatives, strive for student success, self-awareness, and satisfaction.
- To learn more about DHRE, visit their website at housing.unc.edu.